Friday, November 6, 2009

St. Paul's Orphan Asylum

So, as many of you know, my mom was unceremoniously "orphaned" upon the death of her mom in 1938. Grandpa dropped her and her 4 siblings off at an orphanage.

Anyhoo, I have a number of photos of the orphanage, and I occasionally get requests from former... orphanage dwellers (?!) and other interested parties who want to see them. (There are a ton available thru the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh -- you can request info from specific time frames, locations, etc. -- but it's not free.) It occurred to me, what the heck?! I should totally do a blog post and make these photos searchable for people. (For the record, I do not know the identities of any of the people in these photos.)

The internet has allowed me to connect with others who had family at this institution, and also to connect with relatives I didn't know I had. Now it allows me to share what I've learned with others.

Pretty awesome.









2 comments:

Jane Leavy said...

Does anyone know anything about T.B. Doyle, a prefect at St. Paul's who knew Babe Ruth from St. Mary's Industrial School in Baltimore? I am looking for info for a Ruth biography and a visit he paid to St. Paul's in 1921. Many thanks, Jane Leavy

Jane Leavy said...

Does anyone know anything about T.B. and his relationship with Babe Ruth?